Tuesday, May 10, 2011

HW 53 - Independent Research A

        For my independent research I decided to interview a gravedigger that I met while visiting a cemetery. The interview was short and brief but was able to broaden my ideas and give me a better understanding of the care of the dead.
During this interview I was able to incorporate about six different questions. Even though I asked these many questions, two questions and answers stood out to me. The first question and answer was ; How do you feel knowing you are surrounded my dead people? He responded “I was shakey about it at first but everyone dies one day, so whats the problem with being surrounded by dead people? This response stuck out to me because doesn't follow the dominant social practices. Most people try to reject and deny the fact that everyone dies at one point. This Interview helped me see that not all people try to reject death and think its a horrible thing.
The other question and answer that stuck out to me was; How would you feel about digging a grave for a loved one, such as your parents? He quickly responded “It would be terrible and I don't think I would be able to do it, who wants to bury their parents?” This answer was very interesting because of it’s connection with the first question and answer. It was strange to hear him say he wont be able to do it after he just said “ Everyone dies one day” This statement made me believe he could accept death, but obviously he cant. because of his reaction to the death of his parents. This lead me to the conclusion that death is never as significant as it would be if it was one of your loved ones that died. Accepting and understanding death is more difficult then anyone would believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment