Tuesday, May 3, 2011

HW 51 - Second Third of COTD Book

               Second part of the book; Curtains even more interesting then the first section of the book. Throughout this 2/3 of Tom Jokinen gives us insights on the life of a person in the funeral industry. Jokinen rigorously describes situations he encountered during different funeral processes. He touched on burial as well as cremation but more thorough about the cremation process. Tom’s experiences were helpful enough to give us insight on how the funeral business functioned. Jokinen helped readers realize, Funeral homes aren’t all the same but one thing they all have income is; revenue is the main goal.


“Since I thought I would have to pick the woman up by her ankles and shake her upside down until the nickels fell out of her tracksuit pockets and her dentures skittered across the floor.” (105)
“But it seemed to me he was doing what the script told him to do; put people at ease by lightening the mood. That was his role. (119)
“I think i would like to be cremated and scattered somewhere nice.” (163)

       I sincerely enjoyed reading this section of the book. I did because of the way the stories were told. I felt like he was being completely honest about every situation. It was interesting that he decided to use humor, I feel he did this to take away from the fact that he has to deal with death and grief on a daily basis. I believe that I would handle these situations the same way because death and grief are things that are almost impossible to ignore. If Jokinen continues to write this way he will continue to draw readers in and keep readers focused and interested in a very controversial topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment