Sunday, May 8, 2011

HW 52 - Third Third of the COTD Book

  The life of funeral company employe is more complicated then the normal eye can see. Funeral companies main goal is to gain revenue, to do so they do whatever to please their customers. Afterlife is a significant component of the funeral business because of the fact that most customers believe that there is more to death then someone rotting in the ground. The customers beliefs are not always the same and are not always what we feel are correct but we do what makes them happy and helps our business prosper.
“but the truth is, the non-Jews are more fascinated by this tan the jews. Maybe people are searching for something.”(181)
“This isn't my life.For me its a project.I can walk away.Not so for the families who are stuck with their grief, or even the family undertakers who are stuck with one another.”(205)
“I talked to people who jump walls just so they can see their family”(243)
Curtains by Tom Jokinen was a great read and I wouldn’t mind reading another book written by him. Throughout the book he explained the life of someone who was involved in the funeral business. It was interesting to read about all the different stories he had and it helped me understand “death” more. Afterlife is big part of “death” because of the fact that our society looks to the afterlife for comfort. We believe that there is a better place afterlife. Curtains was similar to one of the books I read in the sick and illness unit; My brother by Jamaica Kincaid, I enjoyed reading both of these books because it was more of a personal experience then facts and important history statistics which made the book a interesting read. After reading this book It helped me understand that as long as people continue to die, the funeral business will continue living on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment